Home Training-Band Events Gallery Musical-Director Contact-Us The-Band Awards History Links News

Contacts

Band Secretary

Alan Cummings

07788947936

Band Master

Bob Spencer

01772 812507

Chairman

Geoff Burrows

07588449805

email

 

A brief history of the band........

Hesketh Bank Silver Band was formed in 1895 as a temperance band. Members of the village joined along with members of their family. The original instruments were bought from the neighbouring band in the village of Banks for only four pounds (the cost of one hymn book today). The band's original drum survives in the bandroom.

1
3

After the war the band changed to silver-plated instruments and subsequently changed to its current name; Hesketh Bank Silver Band. The 1950's saw the dissolving of the band as many players were called up for National Service, however, in the 1960's, under the direction of J.H. Hughes, the band regrouped and soon were know as the 'band to beat' in the local area.

Following many successful years, the band appointed Harry Bentham as Musical Director. Under Mr Bentham the band saw great success, with an outstanding performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London, and became National Champions of the 4th Section in 1985. Through the efforts of its players and the committee the band continue to play a wide variety of concerts, walking days, village fetes and charity events.

2

Following the death of Harry Bentham in 2012 the band entered a new era. Alastair Burrows was appointed as musical director and has made a promising start, with a number of succesful performances under his belt.

Harry Bentham 1932 - 2012

 

 

The Band Room

 

The band room was built in 1969 following negotiations between P.T. Watkinson and the committee of the Village Hall. In keeping with the Village Hall Trust deeds, the band room shall be known as the Music Room with the band paying a peppercorn rent.

Donators towards helping to build the band room

Willy Cookson

J.P. and Village Hall Trustee

John Sharples

President and band player with other 70 years service

Bob Ball

Band Player and Husband of treasurer

Ted Sharples

Father to John. Tradition in banding

Bob Checkley

Owner of the Old Barn club

Ted Taylor

Founder of the village hall

Lol Lawson

Farmer and great band supporter

Tom Ward

Band player and conductor

Stan Johnson

Band player of many years

John Watkinson

Band player and Joe’s son

Norman McLeod

Butcher and good band supporter

Joe Watkinson

Band player and son of band founder

Dicky Parkinson

Band player and good committee man

P.T. Watkinson

Band player and president. Over 60 years service

 

The band room was opened at a gala day by Mr J Dawson 30th August 1969 in the presence of Musical Director, Mr T Ward, Secretary Mrs Jean Watkinson and Treasurer Mrs Peggy Hall